The German Center for Neurodegenerative Diseases (DZNE) is a world-leading internationally oriented research center, committed to discovering new approaches to prevent and treat neurodegenerative diseases. To this end, researchers at ten DZNE sites across Germany pursue a translational and interdisciplinary strategy comprising five interconnected areas: fundamental research, clinical research, health care research, population health science, and systems medicine. www.dzne.de
Postdoctoral Scientist ‘Population-based Imaging‘(f/m/x)
We are looking for an experienced researcher with leadership ambitions, to contribute to ongoing research projects and initiate new research focusing on brain imaging.
The job holder will be part of the Population Health Sciences group, led by Prof Dr Dr Monique M B Breteler and located at the headquarters of the German Center for Neurodegenerative Diseases (DZNE) in Bonn. Our research is primarily based on the Rhineland Study, a prospective cohort study that emphasizes deep phenotyping. The cohort currently includes more than 10,000 participants with further recruitment ongoing and follow-up examinations starting in October 2022. The comprehensive data collection encompasses detailed structural and functional brain imaging, cognitive and behavioral assessments, cardiovascular investigations, sensory systems assessments, questions on medical history, lifestyle, nutrition and mental health, assessment of medication intake, and collection of biomaterials. Moreover, we have already obtained extensive blood-based biomarker data from our participants, including (epi-)genomic arrays, RNA-seq data, metabolomics, lipidomics, and immune profiling, as well as gut microbiome analyses.
You will pursue topics related to population-based imaging in the context of the Rhineland Study. By connecting advanced imaging data with other extensive phenotypic and behavioral data, you will investigate determinants, biomarkers or clinical correlates of brain structure and function over the adult life course. In addition to contributing to ongoing projects, you will develop and lead your own research projects as they fit within the general research interests of our group. Furthermore, you will contribute to the management of the image acquisition and image analysis pipelines, be involved in the supervision of PhD and master students, and actively participate in national and international collaborative studies.
- You hold a PhD in epidemiology, medicine, (bio)medical sciences, biomedical image processing or other relevant discipline
- Knowledge of epidemiological methods, study design, and statistics
- Several years of experience in epidemiological research or large-scale observational studies using brain imaging
- Strong analytical skills and an ability for independent and critical thinking
- A track record of publishing high quality scientific papers
- Excellent work ethic, initiative, and time management skills
- Flexibility and strong social skills
- Strong communication and writing skills in the English language are a prerequisite
- An interesting and challenging position on the forefront of health research
- Work in a highly interdisciplinary and international team to address pressing health issues related to aging
- Excellent scientific infrastructure with state-of-the-art research and computational facilities
- Excellent publication opportunities and great potential for the further development of your own research profile
- Active encouragement and support of personal development
- The position is initially limited to 2 years
- Employment, payment and social benefits are determined by the Public Sector Collective Agreement (Tarifvertrag für den öffentlichen Dienst – TVöD Bund).
How to apply
Interested applicants should submit, as one single PDF file, a CV, transcripts, 3 references, and a cover letter describing your motivation to apply for this position, including research interest and experience, through the link below.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
For inquiries about the position, please contact Prof Dr Dr Monique Breteler at email@example.com
Prof. Dr. Dr. Monique Breteler
2 years, extension possible
Payment, social benefits
according to TVöD Bund
You will obtain special skills and knowledge for your scientific qualification during your activities at DZNE. The DZNE is an equal opportunity employer. It is committed to employing disabled individuals and especially encourages them to apply. Please note that as an employee of the DZNE Bonn, you are subject to facility-related compulsory vaccination against the COVID-19 virus (according to § 20a of the Infection Protection Act).