The German Center for Neurodegenerative Diseases (DZNE) is a world-leading internationally oriented research center, committed to discovering new approaches to prevent and treat neurodegenerative diseases. To this end, researchers at ten DZNE sites across Germany pursue a translational and interdisciplinary strategy comprising five interconnected areas: fundamental research, clinical research, health care research, population health science, and systems medicine. www.dzne.de
Postdoctoral Researcher (f/m/x) – in Computational Modeling and Analysis for Large-scale Neural Recordings
The Biohybrid Neuroelectronics Lab led by Dr. Hayder Amin in Dresden is seeking to recruit a Postdoctoral Researcher to implement large-scale computational modeling to simulate the dynamics of hippocampal circuitry.
This position is focused on developing brain-inspired computational tools using parallel, non-linear algorithms and network control theory to investigate the experience-dependent complexity (i.e., neurogenesis) in large-scale systems. The successful applicant will develop a plasticity-inspired bottom-up computational metamodel using our unique experimentally derived multidimensional parameters for hippocampal-cortical circuitry. The project aims to link data science to experimental neuroscience to provide an explicit bidirectional prediction for complex performance underlying functional compensation (i.e., reserve) to the brain demands in health and disease.
We aim to build a genuinely interdisciplinary research unit where engineers, experimental neuroscientists, and mathematicians team up to foster advances in neuroscience and neurotechnologies.
- Process, analyze, test computational pipelines, and apply machine/deep learning approaches on multidimensional neuronal data collected from hippocampal-cortical slices to understand the computational function of network-state changes in large-scale systems.
- Develop tools from control and network theories for large-scale recordings.
- Interface closely with experimentalists to ensure the appropriate data interpretation and infer complex data readouts.
- Participate in all aspects of the project: design, analyses, interpretation, as well as publish results in high-impact journals.
- Obtain technical, lab management, and grant writing skills.
- Mentor and cross-train junior lab members (e.g., Ph.D. students).
- Reviewing the literature for technical & scientific support.
The ideal candidate should be/have:
- Enthusiastic, creative team player, fluent in English with a strong commitment to research.
- Ph.D. in Biomedical Engineering, Physics, Computer Science, or a relevant scientific/technical discipline with a keen interest in computational neuroscience and a particular focus on modeling.
- Experience in modeling, biostatistics, and complex data analysis methods proven by a GitHub repository or published articles.
- Experience in programming as well as scripting skills, preferably in Python.
- Scientific knowledge in experimental electrophysiology and neural signal processing of neuronal activity datasets obtained by (i.e., microelectrode arrays, extracellular field potential recordings, and patch-clamp) is a plus.
- Advanced interdisciplinary vocational training and a high potential for career development.
- Opportunity to contribute to cutting-edge neurotechniques in a competitive and highly communicative environment.
- Excellent infrastructure, including modern workspaces and very well-equipped labs.
- Multicultural environment.
- Employment, payment, and social benefits are consistent with the Public Sector Collective Agreement (TVöD Bund).
- The initial contract duration is 2 years with a possibility of extension.
Interested? Please, send your application in a single pdf file (in English), including:
- a detailed CV
- 1-page letter of motivation
- 1-page statement of scientific achievements and future research interests and plans
- 3 relevant publications
- Two or three reference letters
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. For more information about the position but not the application process, please contact Dr. Hayder Amin.Apply here
Dr. Hayder Amin
2 years, extension possible
Payment, social benefits
according to TVöD Bund
June 30th, 2022
The DZNE is an equal opportunity employer. It is committed to employing disabled individuals and especially encourages them to apply. Employees will acquire skills and knowledge for their scientific qualifications during their activities at the DZNE.