The German Center for Neurodegenerative Diseases (DZNE) is a world-leading internationally oriented research center, committed to discovering new approaches to prevent and treat neurodegenerative diseases. To this end, researchers at ten DZNE sites across Germany pursue a translational and interdisciplinary strategy comprising five interconnected areas: fundamental research, clinical research, health care research, population health science, and systems medicine. www.dzne.de
PhD Candidate (f/m/x) in Pharmacoepidemiology
within the area of Population Health Sciences.
We are looking for an enthusiastic and ambitious young researcher who is keen to pursue their PhD focusing on drug utilization and the effects of drug use on health outcomes.
The job holder will be part of the Population Health Sciences group, led by Prof Dr Dr Monique M B Breteler, and located at the headquarters of the German Center for Neurodegenerative Diseases (DZNE) in Bonn. We study determinants and biomarkers of normal and pathological mental and physical health function over the adult life course, with a special emphasis on neurodegenerative diseases and ageing. The research is primarily based on the Rhineland Study, a prospective cohort study that emphasizes deep phenotyping.
Data collection includes an extensive assessment of medication intake, in addition to detailed structural and functional brain imaging, cognitive and behavioral assessments, cardiovascular investigations, sensory systems assessments, questions on medical history, lifestyle, nutrition and mental health, and collection of biomaterials. Moreover, we have genetic data on our participants, which includes important pharmacogenes. Our unique dataset is therefore very well suited for studies focusing on drug utilization (e.g. drug-drug interactions, drug-gene interactions, medication intake patterns), but also for determining the effects of medication intake on a diverse set of health outcomes.
You will investigate drug utilization (e.g. drug patterns, drug-drug interactions, and drug-gene interactions) and the effects of drug use on health outcomes with a specific focus on neurodegeneration. Responsibilities include: participation in and supervision of data acquisition and processing; data analysis and preparation of manuscripts for publication in peer-reviewed journals; active participation in national and international conferences.
- Excellent master degree in pharmacy, epidemiology, biomedical sciences, psychology, or a related discipline
- Demonstrable interest in quantitative research, the possession of strong data analytical skills, and the ability for independent and critical thinking
- Experience in epidemiological research or large-scale clinical studies is desirable
- Statistical knowledge and R coding skills are desirable
- Flexibility and strong interpersonal skills
- Strong communication and writing skills in the English language are a prerequisite
- An interesting and challenging position on the forefront of health research
- Work in a highly interdisciplinary and international team to address pressing health issues related to aging
- Excellent scientific infrastructure with state-of-the-art research and computational facilities
- Active encouragement and support of our employees’ individual development
- Employment, payment and social benefits are consistent with those at other research institutes
The PhD position will be integrated into the Bonn International Graduate School of Clinical and Population Science and further training in epidemiological, statistical and computational methods will be provided as needed. The position is initially limited to three years with the possibility of extension.
How to apply
Interested applicants should submit, as one single PDF file, a CV, transcripts, 3 references, and a cover letter describing your research interest and experience, by clicking on "Apply here".
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
For inquiries about the position, please contact Dr Dianna de Vries at Dianna.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Prof. Dr. Dr. Breteler
3 years, extension possible
Payment, social benefits
consistent with those at other research insitutes
You will obtain special skills and knowledge for your scientific qualification during your activities at DZNE. The DZNE is an equal opportunity employer. It is committed to employing disabled individuals and especially encourages them to apply.
We would like to point out that as an employee (f/m/x) of the DZNE Bonn, you are subject to facility-related compulsory vaccination against the COVID-19 virus (according to § 20a of the Infection Protection Act).