The German Center for Neurodegenerative Diseases (DZNE) is a world-leading internationally oriented research center, committed to discovering new approaches to prevent and treat neurodegenerative diseases. To this end, researchers at ten DZNE sites across Germany pursue a translational and interdisciplinary strategy comprising five interconnected areas: fundamental research, clinical research, health care research, population health science, and systems medicine. www.dzne.de
PhD candidate (f/m/x) in Systems Medicine
Our diverse team focuses on understanding the mechanisms of neurodegenerative diseases using machine learning and bioinformatics. Our work drives the development of new approaches, which ultimately facilitate the research on neurodegenerative diseases and the translation into medical practice. In our projects, we use biological insights to design, implement, and evaluate generative modelling approaches on data sets like single-cell genomics data and biomarkers. Such generated data allow privacy-preserving data sharing and collaboration.
For more general information, please also visit the website of Systems Medicine.
https://www.dzne.de/en/research/research-areas/systems-medicine/ and our group https://dzne.de/becker.
- Strong research background in one or more of biomedicine, computational biology, bioinformatics, neurodegenerative diseases, machine learning
- Experience in the analysis of Next-Generation Sequencing data e.g. single-cell RNA-Seq
- Very good English proficiency
- Practical knowledge of data analysis using R or Python is of advantage.
- Enthusiastic and collaborative work attitude
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team
- An interesting and challenging task in a research center that works on the future topics of health and privacy research
- Excellent scientific infrastructure and state-of-the-art methodologies
- A thriving interdisciplinary research environment at the DZNE
- Fully established genomics, bioinformatics and wet-lab facilities
- Modular high-performance computing resources
- Employment, payment and social benefits are consistent with those at other research institutes
- The position is initially limited to 3 years
Please submit your application online via the link below as a single pdf file, including your CV (incl. two references) and a brief cover letter (max. 1 page) stating your motivation for and prior experience relating to this offer.
If you have further questions, please contact Matthias.Becker@dzne.de. Interviews will take place by video conference, with a possible on-site visit to Bonn. The position is available immediately and applications will be considered until the position is filled (with a possible starting date being March 1st, 2022).Apply now
Dr. Matthias Becker
Payment, social benefits
consistent with those at other research institutes
February 15th, 2023