The German Center for Neurodegenerative Diseases (DZNE) is a world-leading internationally oriented research center, committed to discovering new approaches to prevent and treat neurodegenerative diseases. To this end, researchers at ten DZNE sites across Germany pursue a translational and interdisciplinary strategy comprising five interconnected areas: fundamental research, clinical research, health care research, population health science, and systems medicine. www.dzne.de
Service leader (f/m/x) for the Library and Information Services at the DZNE
to be responsible for administering, coordinating and supervising the key activities related to DZNE’s LIS.
The LIS of the DZNE is part of the "Core Research Facilities and Services" (CRFS), a service unit offering the scientists a broad range of diverse technologies that are required by state-of-the-art research. It is a new department that operates as a purely digital library and thus offers much room for personal commitment and creative possibilities.
- Management and supervision of the LIS for the DZNE e. g. Planning and organizing the workflows for offering services to the DZNE users, liaison with publishers for negotiation of contracts and services. Supervise and organize the LIS personnel.
- Representing the LIS within the Helmholtz libraries meetings and supporting the board of directors in the strategic planning of the LIS activities within the Helmholtz.
- Planning and managing yearly budget in coordination with the Head of the CRFS.
- Coordinate and support a team of subject librarians responsible for instruction, student learning and engagement, and liaison activities.
- Work collaboratively to develop innovative and responsive user-focused services and programs such as: reference and information services, information literacy instruction, and outreach programs to support student, staff and faculty excellence in teaching, learning, and research.
- Recruit, train, develop, and evaluate high quality library faculty.
- Foster an adaptable, flexible, and responsive departmental culture in an environment with evolving library and campus priorities.
- Mentor library personnel in the LIS and contribute to faculty career and professional growth, development, and retention.
- Participate actively in local, state, and national library professional organizations.
- Serve as a member of the Libraries’ Leadership Group.
These tasks involve coordination of multidisciplinary team(s) with relevant expertise (IT, LIS, etc.)
- A university degree at master level in library science, library information science and/or natural sciences, or comparable knowledge and skills with a focus on "academic library".
- Several years of relevant professional experience in a larger library in the field of reference and use, preferably with experience in leading a team or in project management
- Interested in developments and trends in academic libraries and committed to introducing them into one's own field of activity
- Open to new tasks as well as prudent, independent, team- and service-oriented - also in changing demand situations
- High affinity with IT-related areas: e.g., ability to utilize relevant databases / software, including Word, Excel (advanced), PowerPoint, publication repository, CRIS / FIS
- Experience with strategic planning and program development in a leading German or international research institution
- Project management experience
- Independent, responsible and careful way of working; attention to detail, possibly experience with data quality control
- Communication and team-working skills
- Confident in the use of:
- PC standard software and internet applications, digital media and services
- library rules and regulations and reference tools
- a library management system
- Excellent written and spoken German, very good written and spoken English
Preferably you have one or more of the following skills:
- Knowledge of developing guidelines and regulations in Germany and EU relevant for data protection / privacy, intellectual property, open science initiatives
- Strong competence in software / databases and basic data management / representation
Your work will foster development of the library into a central point for information management within the DZNE. You prefer pragmatic solutions that you implement quickly and in a targeted manner. You are open to developments and enjoy a varied and challenging job in an international and scientific environment.
- A pleasant, collegial working atmosphere and an inspiring working environment in a digital and future-oriented library
- An exciting and responsible job with professional training and development opportunities
- The position is full time (39 hours/week), and is initially limited to 2 years
- Employment, payment and social benefits are determined by the Public Sector Collective Agreement (Tarifvertrag für den öffentlichen Dienst – TVöD Bund).
For further information please contact Dr. Eugenio Fava, Head of the CRFS (email@example.com)
We look forward to receiving your application.Apply here
Dr. Eugenio Fava
initially limited to 2 years
Payment, social benefits
according to TVöD Bund
The DZNE is an equal opportunity employer. It especially welcomes and encourages disabled individuals to apply.