The German Center for Neurodegenerative Diseases (DZNE) is a world-leading internationally oriented research center, committed to discovering new approaches to prevent and treat neurodegenerative diseases. To this end, researchers at ten DZNE sites across Germany pursue a translational and interdisciplinary strategy comprising five interconnected areas: fundamental research, clinical research, health care research, population health science, and systems medicine. www.dzne.de
Postdoctoral Researcher / Bioinformatician (m/f/x)
We are looking for a highly motivated Postdoctoral Researcher / Bioinformatician to join our research group “Population & Clinical Neuroepidemiology” at the German Center for Neurodegenerative Diseases (DZNE) in Bonn. Using deep (endo)phenotypic data obtained in the context of both population-based and clinical cohort studies, we aim to identify the risk factors, causes as well as trait and state markers of neurodegenerative diseases through application of epidemiological and bio-informatics approaches.
As part of a larger project funded by the European Research Council, in which we aim to assess the role of genomic instability and somatic mutations in the pathogenesis of neurodegenerative diseases, we have a position available for a postdoctoral researcher/bioinformatician. Supported by a technician, the candidate will be responsible for coordinating high-throughput bio-sample selection and preparation, design of probes and libraries for deep targeted next-generation DNA sequencing, as well as bio-informatic analysis of the resulting data, including development of novel methods for assessing genomic instability and somatic mutations.
- Supervision of graduate and PhD students
- Analysis of next-generation (long-read) sequencing data, including development of novel bio-informatic methods focused on assessing genomic instability and somatic mutations
- Writing and preparation of manuscripts for publication in peer-reviewed journals
- Maintaining contact with our internal and external academic and industrial partners
- Preparation of grant applications
You will work in a large international team of scientists within the section of Population Health Sciences of the German Centre for Neurodegenerative Diseases. The team members have diverse backgrounds, ranging from epidemiology, psychology, biology and medicine to bioinformatics and machine learning. In addition, you will have ample opportunity to interact and collaborate with many other scientists (including other bioinformaticians) working at the German Center for Neurodegenerative Diseases and the University of Bonn.
We are looking for a highly talented, motivated, and ambitious researcher with good social skills. The successful candidate holds a PhD degree in computational biology, molecular biology, (bio)medical sciences or a related discipline and has extensive experience in bioinformatics and large-scale multi-omics projects, especially genomics. Demonstrable interest in quantitative research, strong analytical skills, ability for independent and critical thinking, leadership capabilities and excellent communication and writing skills in the English language are a prerequisite. Supervision of acquisition and processing of data (including genotyping arrays, DNA/RNA sequencing and proteomic data)
- Interesting and challenging work on the forefront of health research
- Working in an international and interdisciplinary team to elucidate the pathogenesis of neurodegenerative diseases
- A high potential for the development of an own research profile
- Excellent scientific infrastructure with state-of-the-art research and computational facilities
- The position is initially limited to three years with the possibility of extension
- Job location is in Bonn, Germany. Common languages at work are English and German
- Employment, payment, and social benefits are consistent with the Public Sector Collective Agreement (TVöD Bund)
Interested? Please, send your application in a single pdf file (in English), including:
- A letter of motivation
- A detailed and up-to-date CV, including a description of your relevant experience
- A copy of your academic transcripts
- At least two references
References may be taken up as part of the candidate selection and prior to interview. Applicants who do not wish referees to be contacted without prior notice and consent should make this explicitly clear in their application. For inquiries about the position, please contact Dr. Aziz firstname.lastname@example.org
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.Apply here
Dr. Ahmad Aziz
3 years, extension possible
Payment, social benefits
according to TVöD-Bund
May 15th, 2023
The DZNE is an equal opportunity employer. It is committed to employing disabled individuals and especially encourages them to apply.