The German Center for Neurodegenerative Diseases (DZNE) is a world-leading internationally oriented research center, committed to discovering new approaches to prevent and treat neurodegenerative diseases. To this end, researchers at ten DZNE sites across Germany pursue a translational and interdisciplinary strategy comprising five interconnected areas: fundamental research, clinical research, health care research, population health science, and systems medicine. www.dzne.de
Postdoctoral Researcher (f/m/x)
Join the research group of Dr. Sach Mukherjee!
This is an opportunity to work at the intersection of deep learning and complex biomedical questions. Relevant themes include causality, high-dimensional data and scientifically interpretable modelling, with applications in large-scale molecular biology and "omics" as well as deep phenotyping.
Deep neural networks have proven highly effective in a wide range of tasks, but are not in themselves interpretable or causal models and can be sensitive to distributional shifts. On the other hand, classical mechanistic and causal models face challenges in the context of high-dimensional data and data-generating processes that may violate modelling assumptions. We are interested in bridging this gap via scientifically-informed and/or causal AI approaches tailored to the biomedical context.
We are looking for highly qualified candidates in machine learning or statistics. Prior experience in biomedical research is not required. The working language is English and knowledge of German is not required. Candidates should have, or shortly expect to receive, a PhD in machine learning, statistics, computer science, applied mathematics (or related fields) with a strong background in machine learning or computational statistics, ideally with expertise in one or more of deep learning, high-dimensional data and causality. A solid background in machine learning and statistical fundamentals and good statistical computing skills (in one or more of Python, R, etc.) are important.
- Excellent scientific infrastructure and state of the art techniques
- An international environment characterized by a strong focus on science and research
- Working in an international team within a stimulating research environment and very well-equipped laboratories
- A high potential for the individual development of our employees (including targeted personnel development)
- A full-time position, initially limited to two years (extension possible)
- Employment, payment and social benefits are determined by the Public Sector Collective Agreement (Tarifvertrag für den öffentlichen Dienst – TVöD Bund)
Dr. Sach Mukherjee
initially limited to 2 years
Payment, social benefits
according to TVöD Bund
December 1st, 2023
You will obtain special skills and knowledge for your scientific qualification at DZNE. The DZNE is an equal opportunity employer. It is committed to employing disabled individuals and especially encourages them to apply.