The German Center for Neurodegenerative Diseases (DZNE) is a unique non-university research center which is dedicated to the subject dementia and all its areas, as well as other neurodegenerative diseases. The center compasses the full spectrum of fundamental research through population sciences to health care research. The DZNE stands for excellence in research and science management, translation of scientific results into practice, interdisciplinarity and internationalization. It is a research center within the Helmholtz Organization of German research centers. With over 1000 employees from 55 nations, spread over 10 sites, the DZNE is one of the national and international leading research centers in its research field.
Laboratory Manager (f/m) for the Rhineland Study
The Rhineland Study is a prospective population-based cohort study that will include up to 30,000 people aged 30 years and over, run for decades, and emphasizes brain-related outcomes. Study facilities encompass 2 fully operational examination centers equipped with state-of-the art apparatus including advanced laboratory and bio-banking facilities for collection and processing of human biomaterials. The study is led by Monique M. B. Breteler, Director of Population Health Sciences at the DZNE. An important aim of the study is to identify determinants and biomarkers of normal and pathological mental and physical health function over the adult life course, with a special emphasis on neurodegenerative diseases and ageing.
As laboratory manager you will be responsible for overseeing all biomaterial collection in the Rhineland Study (blood, urine, stool, etc). You will also implement further state-of-the-art collection, processing and storage protocols. In your tasks you will be supported by a Deputy Laboratory Manager and a growing team of laboratory technicians.
Specifically, tasks include:
- Development, implementation and maintenance of specimen preparation and analytical procedures in close collaboration with external experts and diagnostic laboratories
- Providing advise to Rhineland Study scientists on issues related to sample collection, processing and analysis
- Strategic planning of further laboratory and biorepository activities
- Close collaboration with the central biorepository of the DZNE
- Supervision of daily laboratory activities in the examination centers as well as training and supervision of the study technicians and other laboratory personnel involved in sample collection, preparation, storage and retrieval
- Maintenance and further development of the laboratory information system (LIMS)
- Quality control and quality assurance + generation and maintenance of reports
Successful candidates hold a university degree in a biological, biochemical or medical laboratory-related area. Several years of working experience in biobanking and/or in running a diagnostic or similar laboratory working with human samples in a medium to high-throughput fashion is a must.
You are the right candidate if you are:
- a proactive person that is highly motivated and has strong managerial and communication skills.
- experienced in having oversight responsibilities for personnel, equipment, supplies, software, and/or documentation.
- strongly interested in biomedical research and in working with a wide spectrum of methods.
- Interesting and challenging work on the forefront of health research
- Working in an international and interdisciplinary team to help direct the efforts of the Rhineland Study to address pressing health issues related to aging
- A competitive salary (according to TVÖD-Bund) and a long-term perspectiv
Dr. Ruth Schietke
2 years, extension possible
Payment, social benefits
according to TVöD Bund
The DZNE is an equal opportunity employer. It especially welcomes and encourages disabled individuals to apply.