The German Center for Neurodegenerative Diseases (DZNE) is a unique non-university research center which is dedicated to the subject dementia and all its areas, as well as other neurodegenerative diseases. The center compasses the full spectrum of fundamental research through population sciences to health care research. The DZNE stands for excellence in research and science management, translation of scientific results into practice, interdisciplinarity and internationalization. It is a research center within the Helmholtz Organization of German research centers. With over 1000 employees from 55 nations, spread over 10 sites, the DZNE is one of the national and international leading research centers in its research field.
Bioinformatics Staff Scientist
The research focus of our group is to identify genetic risk factors for neurodegenerative diseases such as Parkinson’s disease, Alzheimer’s disease, Frontal-Temporal Dementia/Motor Neuron Disease, Progressive Supranuclear Palsy and Ataxia in close collaboration with our clinical partners. As partners in the International Parkinson’s Disease Genomics Consortium (IPDGC) (http://pdgenetics.org/) we participate in large scale genetic and genomic studies to identify new genetic risk factors and to characterize the biological consequences of these mutations and risk factors by using automated high-throughput cellular screens combined with genomic and transcriptomic approaches. For further details on the scientific program of the group please refer to http://www.dzne.de/en/sites/tuebingen/research-groups/heutink.html.
The successful candidate will work in a multidisciplinary environment of neuroscientists, clinicians, and bioinformaticians. The main focus of the staff scientist will be to develop and maintain analysis workflows and software for Illumina and Nanopore genomic, transcriptomic, and epigenetic sequencing data. You will pursue your own project, realize the publication of scientific results and cooperate with our international partners for joint publications.
Successful applicants should have the following qualities:
- Degree in Bioinformatics, Computer Science or a related field
- Demonstrated experience with NGS data analysis (sRNA-, RNA-, ChIP-, WG-Seq), statistics, and machine learning
- Experience with Linux environments, Docker, and workflow management systems (e.g. Galaxy) would be advantageous
- Highly motivated with an interest to work in an interdisciplinary team spanning genomics and neuroscience
- We are looking for a team player with a strong scientific interest that is willing to build up a shared resource for datamining and analysis.
We expect you to
- Have the ability to participate in designing and troubleshooting experiments.
- Be interested in implementing new methods and improving current protocols and workflows.
- Have good interpersonal skills and fluency in spoken and written English.
- Have successfully completed your university studies with a PhD degree in computer science, medical computer science, biomedical informatics or a similar field.
- Have knowledge in the design, implementation and application of software and interfaces in a research environment.
- Have knowledge of database systems and data warehouse systems for genomic/biological data.
- Have experience in machine learning using genomic/biological data.
- An interesting and challenging task in a research center that works on the future topics of health research.
- An international environment characterized by a strong focus on science and research.
- A high potential for the individual development of our employees.
- Targeted personnel development.
- Employment, payment and social benefits are determined by the Public Sector Collective Agreement (Tarifvertrag für den öffentlichen Dienst – TVöD Bund).
- A full-time appointment of initially 2 years with the possibility of an extension.
Prof. Dr. Peter Heutink
2 years, extension possible
Payment, social benefits
according to TVöD Bund
You will obtain special skills and knowledge for your scientific qualification at DZNE. The DZNE is an equal opportunity employer. It especially welcomes and encourages disabled individuals to apply.