The German Center for Neurodegenerative Diseases (DZNE) is a unique non-university research center which is dedicated to the subject dementia and all its areas, as well as other neurodegenerative diseases. The center compasses the full spectrum of fundamental research through population sciences to health care research. The DZNE stands for excellence in research and science management, translation of scientific results into practice, interdisciplinarity and internationalization. It is a research center within the Helmholtz Organization of German research centers. With over 1000 employees from 55 nations, spread over 10 sites, the DZNE is one of the national and international leading research centers in its research field.
Postdoctoral Researcher (f/m/d) in Interpretable Machine Learning for High-dimensional Genomic Data
This position is in the group of Sach Mukherjee. Our research focus is on advanced machine learning (ML) and statistical approaches with a particular emphasis on high-dimensional data, causal networks and latent structure. We pursue both cutting-edge methodological research and applications in collaboration with biomedical teams. The specific position is part of a recently awarded research network MechML that aims to establish interpretable AI and ML methods in the context of genomics and medicine.
We are looking for outstanding, highly qualified candidates with a PhD in machine learning or statistics (or a closely related discipline). A solid background in statistical and/or machine learning methodology is important. This means a strong background in one or more areas of current computational and high-dimensional research (e.g. deep learning, high-dimensional penalized methods, computational Bayesian approaches etc.) and a broad overview of core ideas in modern machine learning and statistics. Good computational skills are important.
The focus of the project and the research network MechML is on interpretable AI and ML methods in the context of genomic medicine. Applications from candidates with a strong background in deep learning and an interest in developing these models in the direction of scientific understanding and interpretability would be welcome. Previous exposure to research in biomedicine per se is not required. Knowledge of the German language is not required.
This is a chance to pursue advanced ML and statistical research with opportunities to collaborate side-by-side with outstanding experimental teams at the DZNE and with colleagues, both in ML and biomedicine, at leading institutions internationally.
- Interesting and challenging tasks in a research center that works on the future topics of health research, with a strong focus on data science and ML.
- A highly international environment.
- The opportunity to utilize state-of-the-art equipment and facilities.
- Targeted personnel development.
- Employment, payment and social benefits are determined by the Public Sector Collective Agreement (Tarifvertrag für den öffentlichen Dienst – TVöD Bund).
- A chance to pursue advanced ML and statistical research with opportunities to collaborate side-by-side with outstanding experimental teams at the DZNE and with colleagues, both in ML and biomedicine, at leading institutions internationally.
- The position is in Bonn, a beautiful, historic city on the banks of the Rhine, offering a fantastic location and quality of life.
Dr. Sach Mukherjee
Payment, social benefits
according to TVöD Bund
February 15th, 2019
You will obtain special skills and knowledge during your activities at DZNE. The DZNE is an equal opportunity employer. The DZNE especially welcomes and encourages disabled individuals to apply.