The German Center for Neurodegenerative Diseases (DZNE) is a unique non-university research center which is dedicated to the subject dementia and all its areas, as well as other neurodegenerative diseases. The center compasses the full spectrum of fundamental research through population sciences to health care research. The DZNE stands for excellence in research and science management, translation of scientific results into practice, interdisciplinarity and internationalization. It is a research center within the Helmholtz Organization of German research centers. With over 1000 employees from 55 nations, spread over 10 sites, the DZNE is one of the national and international leading research centers in its research field.
Experienced Researcher (f/m/d) in Immunology and Aging
We aim to understand the complex and heterogeneous causes of neurodegenerative and other age-related diseases in order to contribute to their effective, individualized prevention and treatment. Specifically, we investigate the interplay between the genome and the exposome in determining health status. An important focus is on interactions and mutual dependencies between mechanisms involved in immunology and inflammation, aging and metabolic programming, and the central nervous system. Our research is mostly based on the Rhineland Study, a deeply phenotyped population-based cohort that will include more than 20,000 people aged 30 years and over and is designed to run for decades. Core data collection includes extensive structural and functional brain imaging, cognitive and behavioral assessments, cardiovascular investigations, sensory systems assessments, questions on medical history, medication intake, life style, nutrition and mental health, and extensive collection of biomaterials. To this end we recently added immunophenotyping through cell profiling in several flow cytometry panels and whole blood stimulation assays with a range of innate immune stimuli.
The successful candidate is expected to lead and further develop our research efforts in this area. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Supervision of data acquisition (immunophenotyping, immune activation, cytokine & transcriptome analysis)
- Analysis of data and preparation of manuscripts for publication in peer-reviewed journals
- Supervision of graduate students
- Maintaining contact with our internal and external academic partners
- Preparation of grant applications to strengthen line of research and to develop own research focus.
Candidates should have a PhD in immunology, epidemiology, medicine, computational biology or other relevant discipline, and experience in the field of complex disease research. Demonstrated interest in quantitative research, strong analytical skills, ability for independent and critical thinking, leadership capabilities and excellent communication and writing skills in the English language are a prerequisite. Working experience in epidemiological research or large-scale observational studies as well as experience in clinical immunology is highly desirable.
- Interesting and challenging work on the forefront of health research in a highly interdisciplinary and international team. Common language at work is English.
- Participation in the Bonn-based Cluster of Excellence “Immunosensation2” as well as several international consortia
- Great opportunities for groundbreaking research collaborations
- A high potential for the development of own research profile
- We actively encourage and support our employees’ personal development and growth
- Employment, payment and social benefits are determined by the Public Sector Collective Agreement (Tarifvertrag für den öffentlichen Dienst – TvöD)
The professional qualification of early career researchers is of great importance for DZNE. Besides special offers for career development and support, the DZNE also provides researchers career opportunities in form of junior research groups or internal career paths to obtain scientific independence.
Prof. Dr. Monique Breteler
2 years, extension possible
Payment, social benefits
according to TVöD Bund
February 29th, 2020
You will obtain special skills and knowledge for your scientific qualification during your activities at DZNE. The DZNE is an equal opportunity employer. It is committed to employing disabled individuals and especially encourages them to apply.