The German Center for Neurodegenerative Diseases (DZNE) is a unique non-university research center which is dedicated to the subject dementia and all its areas, as well as other neurodegenerative diseases. The center compasses the full spectrum of fundamental research through population sciences to health care research. The DZNE stands for excellence in research and science management, translation of scientific results into practice, interdisciplinarity and internationalization. It is a research center within the Helmholtz Organization of German research centers. With over 1000 employees from 55 nations, spread over 10 sites, the DZNE is one of the national and international leading research centers in its research field.
PhD Student (f/m/d)
For a cooperation-project with our partner in Haifa, Israel, we are looking for a PhD student with an interest in Neurobiology and Bioinformatics at the earliest opportunity. The project aims to strengthen our research on the role of m6A RNA-methylation in linking histone-modifications and mRNA translation in brain disease and cognitive function, Dynamic changes in neuronal gene-expression and protein production represent key processes in learning and memory and are de-regulated in neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s disease (AD). Targeting such pathways has thus emerged as novel therapeutic avenues in various neurodegenerative diseases. There is however little data on the mechanistic interplay of gene-expression and protein translation regulation in the healthy and diseases brain. We found that novel epi-transcriptomic processes of N6A mRNA-methylation links changes in histone-modification to mRNA translation in neurodegenerative diseases. Here we aim to further study this process building on the complementary expertise in epigenetics and epi-transcriptomics and in mRNA translation in our partner’s lab.
Overall, the project provides a highly interdisciplinary approach to bioinformatics, cell- and neurobiology.
- The candidate is expected to perform experimental bench work, oral presentation of the results, as well as the preparation of manuscripts for publication in international scientific journals.
- Experimental work includes molecular biology, cell culture of cell lines and primary neuronal cells, mouse behavioral studies, in vivo manipulation of mice.
- Active participation in local, national, and international conferences is expected.
- We are looking for an open-minded, enthusiastic, and highly-talented junior researcher with good social skills
- Demonstrable interest in basic biological research, strong analytical skills, ability for independent and critical thinking, organizational talent, and excellent communication and writing skills in the English language are a prerequisite.
- Experience in molecular biology or sequencing techniques
- Successful candidates have a master degree in life sciences
- A doctoral position in an international, highly interactive environment at the DZNE Göttingen embedded in the strong neuroscience research community at the Göttingen Research Campus
- An exciting and challenging position in a research center that works on state-of-the art health research topics.
- The project provides a highly interdisciplinary approach to bioinformatics, cell- and neurobiology.
- Excellent career development opportunities for our employees. You will obtain special skills and knowledge for your scientific qualification during your activities at DZNE. The successful candidate will be supervised by Dr. André Fischer, and support and mentoring will be available at every step along the way. Training in general scientific methods, more specialized methods employed by the research unit, and scientific writing will be provided.
- The opportunity to utilize state-of-the-art equipment and facilities
- Funding is provided by the Lower Saxony VW Foundation program “cooperation with Israel”
- The PhD candidate can be registered as such in an external University, or can be registered as a PhD student in the University Medical Center
- Employment, payment, and social benefits are consistent with those at other research institutions
Applications should contain the following documents (in English):
- A detailed Curriculum Vitae
- A cover letter with research interest
- One reference
We are looking forward to your application!
Prof. Dr. André Fischer
Payment, social benefits
consistent with those at other research institutions
The DZNE is an equal opportunity employer. It especially welcomes and encourages disabled individuals to apply.