The German Center for Neurodegenerative Diseases (DZNE) is a world-leading internationally oriented research center, committed to discovering new approaches to prevent and treat neurodegenerative diseases. To this end, researchers at ten DZNE sites across Germany pursue a translational and interdisciplinary strategy comprising five interconnected areas: fundamental research, clinical research, health care research, population health science, and systems medicine. www.dzne.de
PhD student (f/m/d) in the Group "Mechanisms of Propagation"
The main task of the research group Mechanisms of Propagation is to elucidate underlying mechanisms in disease propagation and spreading in neurodegenerative diseases with a main focus on Amyothrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), Frontotemporal Dementia (FTD) (PD) and Parkinson’s disease. Using innovative animal models and patient samples we try to understand how and why protein aggregates are transmitted from cell to cell. We also explore transmission to non-neuronal cells and try to pinpoint the contribution of peripheral inflammation. Furthermore, epigenetic profiling of different cell populations or single cells allows us to discover new pathways involved in ALS, PD and FTD and identify new therapeutic targets.
- Active participation in experimental work, experimental design, data generation, data analyses and interpretation of results
- Prepare and write manuscripts for publication in international scientific journals
- Oral presentation of results on local, national, and international conferences
- Experimental work includes molecular cloning, culture of primary cells, working with transgenic mice, RNA Seq as well as biochemical methods
- A keen interest in neurodegenerative diseases and a profound knowledge in neuroscience
- Experience in working with transgenic mouse models and analyzing transcriptomic data are advantageous
- Successful candidates have a master’s degree in molecular biology, neuroscience, biochemistry (or a master’s degree in a related field)
- English language is a prerequisite
- We are looking for candidates who are open-minded, creative team-player, enthusiastic, have strong analytical skills, think critically, and with good social skills
- Working in an international team within a stimulating research environment and with very well equipped laboratories
- An international environment characterized by a strong focus on science and research
- A high potential for the individual development of our employees
- Targeted personnel development
- A PhD appointment of initially 2 years with the possibility of extension for 1 year
- Employment, payment and social benefits are consistent with those at other research institutes
CV, Motivation letter, Bachelor and Master qualifications, Reference letters
Herr Daniel Preiß
2 years, extension possible
Payment, social benefits
Employment, payment and social benefits are consistent with those at other research institutes
You will obtain special skills and knowledge for your scientific qualification at DZNE. The DZNE is an equal opportunity employer. It is committed to employing disabled individuals and especially encourages them to apply.