The German Center for Neurodegenerative Diseases (DZNE) is a world-leading internationally oriented research center, committed to discovering new approaches to prevent and treat neurodegenerative diseases. To this end, researchers at ten DZNE sites across Germany pursue a translational and interdisciplinary strategy comprising five interconnected areas: fundamental research, clinical research, health care research, population health science, and systems medicine. www.dzne.de
Postdoctoral Researcher (f/m/d) – in Computational modeling for neurogenic-encoded functions
The Adult Neurogenesis Lab led by Prof. Dr. Gerd Kempermann and the Biohybrid Neuroelectronics Lab led by Dr. Hayder Amin in Dresden are seeking to recruit a Postdoctoral Researcher to implement large-scale computational modeling to simulate the dynamics of hippocampal circuitry in the presence of newly born neurons.
This synergistic position focused on developing a brain-inspired computational model using parallel, non-linear algorithms to investigate the neurogenesis complexity in large-scale systems. The successful applicant will specifically develop a neurogenic-plasticity-inspired bottom-up computational metamodel using our unique experimentally derived multidimensional parameters for a cortico-hippocampal circuit. The project aims to link computational modeling to experimental neuroscience to provide an explicit bidirectional prediction for complex performance and neurogenic network reserve for functional compensation to the brain demands in health and disease.
The mission of this synergy aims at building a genuinely interdisciplinary research unit where engineers, experimental neuroscientists, and mathematicians team up to foster advances in neuroscience and neurotechnologies.
- Process, analyze, test computational pipelines, and applying machine/deep learning approaches on multidimensional neuronal data collected from cortico-hippocampal slices to understand the computational function of neurogenesis in large-scale systems
- Develop creative computational models/algorithms of adult neurogenesis
- Interface closely with experimentalists to ensure the appropriate data interpretation and infer complex data readouts.
- Participate in all aspects of the project, from design, analyses, interpretation, and publish results in high-impact journals
- Obtain technical, lab management, and grant writing skills
- Mentor and cross-train junior lab members (e.g., Ph.D. students)
- Reviewing literature for technical & scientific support
The ideal candidate should be/have
- Enthusiastic, creative team-player, fluent in English with a strong commitment to research
- Ph.D. in Biomedical Engineering, Physics, Computer science or relevant scientific/technical discipline with a keen interest in computational neuroscience and a particular focus on modeling.
- Experience in modeling, biostatistics, and complex data analysis methods proven showcase by a GitHub repository or published articles.
- Experience in programming & scripting skills, preferably in Python
- Demonstrated scientific knowledge in experimental electrophysiology and neural signal processing of neuronal activity datasets obtained by (i.e., microelectrode arrays, extracellular field potential recordings, and patch-clamp)
- Advanced interdisciplinary vocational training and high potential for career development.
- Opportunity to contribute to cutting-edge neurotechniques in a competitive, and highly communicative environment.
- Excellent infrastructure including modern workspaces and very well equiped labs.
- Dynamic and multicultural environment.
- Employment, payment, and social benefits are consistent with the Public Sector Collective Agreement (TVöD Bund).
- The initial contract duration is 2 years with a possibility of extention.
Interested? Please, send your application in a single pdf file (in English), including:
- a detailed CV
- 1-page letter of motivation
- 1-page statement of scientific achievements and future research interests and plans
- 3 relevant publications
- Two or three reference letters
The application should be sent via the link below - as soon as possible but before March 15th, 2021. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
For more information about the position but not the application process, please contact Dr. Hayder Amin
Dr. Hayder Amin
2 years, extension possible
Payment, social benefits
according to TVöD Bund
April 20th, 2021
You will obtain special skills and knowledge for your scientific qualification during your activities at DZNE. The DZNE is an equal opportunity employer. It is committed to employing disabled individuals and especially encourages them to apply.