Postdoctoral Researcher (f/m) in Experimental Neurophysiology
The German Center for Neurodegenerative Diseases (DZNE) investigates the causes of diseases of the nervous system and develops strategies for prevention, treatment and care. It is an institution within the Helmholtz Association of German Research Centres with nine sites across Germany (Berlin, Bonn, Dresden, Göttingen, Magdeburg, Munich, Rostock/Greifswald, Tübingen and Witten). The DZNE cooperates closely with universities, their clinics and other research facilities.
The ENP lab has state-of-the art equipment and a motivated team of experts in molecular biology, rodent behavior, and electrophysiology of hippocampus and cortex. We invite applicants interested in studying the neural basis of: learning and memory, cortical development, and the evolution of disease processes with a focus on ion channelopathies.
Assist with behavioral, electrophysiological, and optogenetic experiments in rodents. Candidates with exceptional computational skills have the opportunity to shift the balance of their research towards design and analysis if desired.
- Collaborate closely with the two PIs, Prof. Dr. Dirk Isbrandt and Dr. Stephan Marguet
- Analyze data and provide information to the PIs
- Attend lab meetings, unit science meetings at the DZNE in Bonn, and participate in retreats
- Candidates should hold a PhD, preferably in neuroscience, biomedical engineering, or a related field. Students of math, physics and statistics who are eager and self-motivated to study neuroscience are also encouraged to apply
- Expertise in electrophysiology; strong programming skills (e.g., Matlab); experience in spectral and time series analysis; understanding of linear algebra and dimensionality reduction
- More than a year of programming experience
- Computational and communication skills are required. Experience in neurophysiology is favored
- Excellent written and oral English communication skills
Applicants are encouraged to review Peters et al. ’05 (http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/nn1375), Marguet et al. ’15 (http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/nm.3987) and Fazeli et al ’17 (http://doi.org/10.1016/j.expneurol.2017.05.013). We welcome any inquiries on our research and this opportunity prior to a formal application at firstname.lastname@example.org
You will acquire special skills and knowledge for your scientific qualification while working at DZNE. The DZNE is an equal opportunity employer. It especially welcomes and encourages disabled individuals to apply.
- An exciting and challenging position in a research center that works on state-of-the art health research topics
- Working in an international, highly interactive environment at the DZNE Bonn/University of Cologne in Prof. Isbrandt’s DZNE research group Experimental Neurophysiology at the University Hospital of Cologne, Institute for Molecular and Behavioral Neuroscience
- The opportunity to utilize state-of-the-art equipment and facilities
- Excellent career development opportunities for our employees
- A full-time position, initially available for two years with the possibility of a two-year renewal
- Employment, payment and social benefits are determined by the Public Sector Collective Agreement (Tarifvertrag für den öffentlichen Dienst – TVöD Bund)