The German Center for Neurodegenerative Diseases (DZNE) is a world-leading internationally oriented research center, committed to discovering new approaches to prevent and treat neurodegenerative diseases. To this end, researchers at ten DZNE sites across Germany pursue a translational and interdisciplinary strategy comprising five interconnected areas: fundamental research, clinical research, health care research, population health science, and systems medicine. www.dzne.de
1 Postdoctoral Researcher (f/m/x) and 1 PhD position (f/m/x) on MRI-based computational biomarkers for ageing and dementia
The preferred starting date for 1 PostDoc and 1 PhD student would be 1st of October 2021. The contracts would be initially for 2 years with an option for extension.
The positions are available in the context of an ongoing stream of research at the German Center for Neurodegenerataive Disease Institute (Magdeburg, Germany) that explores multivariate metrics to benchmark functional brain maintenance and cognitive reserve in old age and subjects at risk of dementia. This endeavour at our group was recently awarded within a NIH call for pilot projects on reserve and resilience (https://reserveandresilience.com).
Here we aim to further deepen our knowledge about the basic functional neuronal mechanisms, their interaction with pathophysiological changes, vascular risk factors for cognitive changes in old age and early dementia. This includes (1) state-of-the-art computational modelling of functional as well as structural MRI data (in large longitudinal samples) using Bayesian, and multivariate AI-related techniques; and (2) illuminating the role of cognitive reserve in brain ageing and dementia using generative models; and (3) developing innovative MRI- and biomarker based indices for brain maintenance, clinical stageing and neuroprognosis in translational applications.
The candidates will join the DZNE Düzel Lab (https://www.dzne.de/forschung/forschungsbereiche/klinische-forschung/forschungsgruppen/duezel/forschungsschwerpunkte/) and the modelling and neuroprognosis group (https://iknd.med.ovgu.de/AG+Dr_+Ziegler-p-986.html) at Institute for Cognitive Neurology and Dementia Research and will be jointly supervised by two PI’s (Dr. Emrah Düzel and Dr. Gabriel Ziegler, DZNE/IKND, Magdeburg). The PI’s research groups provide a fruitful intersection of pending clinical questions and deep modelling expertise to conduct outstanding research at an international level.
- perform and publishing cutting-edge research in the area of computational approaches for ageing and dementia
- conceptualization, implementation and validation of novel imaging AI-based biomarkers for brain-behavioral changes during ageing and dementia
The ideal candidates will have:
- Master or equivalent in Psychology, Computational Neuroscience, Computer Science, Biomedical Engineering, Statistics, Math/Physics, or related area
- substantial programming expertise (Matlab, or Python/R) is a must
- previous experience with neuroimaging data such as (f)MRI, PET
- genuine interest in multivariate and state of the art statistical methods & AI, Deep Learning, data augmentation etc.
- applicants should be ambitious and demonstrate an outstanding academic record including grades/certificates and/or publications
- strong interest in medical imaging topics and/or methods related to this project (MRI, multimodal imaging, biomarkers, stats)
- strong writing, communication, interpersonal and organisational skills
- Clinicians can also apply if there is additional background in a technical field
- Excellent agile, highly interdisciplinary research environment and computing infrastructure
- Strong dedication to supervision, teaching of state of the art research methods and personal support
- A reading group on Bayesian methods, machine learning and AI
- Manifold opportunities and support for collaboration and networking
- High degree of flexibility
- A full-time position, initially temporary limited to 2 years
- Employment, payment and social benefits are determined by the Public Sector Collective Agreement (Tarifvertrag für den öffentlichen Dienst – TVöD (Bund) / are consistent with those at other research institutes
Please submit your application including a detailed CV, motivation letter, publication list (if available), MasterThesis and references.Apply here
Prof. Emrah Düzel and Dr. Gabriel Ziegler
2 years, extension possible
Payment, social benefits
According to TVöD Bund/consistent with those at other research institutes
You will obtain special skills and knowledge for your scientific qualification during your activities at DZNE. The DZNE is an equal opportunity employer. It is committed to employing disabled individuals and especially encourages them to apply