The German Center for Neurodegenerative Diseases (DZNE) is a world-leading internationally oriented research center, committed to discovering new approaches to prevent and treat neurodegenerative diseases. To this end, researchers at ten DZNE sites across Germany pursue a translational and interdisciplinary strategy comprising five interconnected areas: fundamental research, clinical research, health care research, population health science, and systems medicine. www.dzne.de
Postdoc (f/m/x) “Molecular Neurodegeneration”
For the DZNE site in Ulm, we are inviting applications for a Postdoc (f/m/d) in „Molecular Neurodegeneration” position. The group of Prof. Karin Danzer (DZNE Ulm site) Mechanisms of Propagation where this position will be located, studies the underlying mechanisms in disease propagation and spreading in neurodegenerative diseases with a main focus on Amyothrophic Lateral Sclerosis and Parkinson’s disease. Using innovative animal models and patient samples we try to understand how and why protein aggregates are transmitted from cell to cell (e.g. Kiechle et al. Cell Rep. 2019). We will take these analyses to the next level by multiomic approaches combining single cell RNA sequencing as well as epigenetic profiling of neuronal and non-neuronal cells. We will explore transmission to non-neuronal cells and try to pinpoint the contribution of peripheral inflammation, generating a comprehensive map of the molecular alterations defining neurogenerative processes based on animal models as well as human patients. Furthermore, epigenetic profiling of different cell populations in the brain allows us to discover new pathways involved in ALS, PD and FTD and identify new therapeutic targets.
As part of a larger project team, the successful candidate will analyze tissue from animal models or human patients, using a wide range of techniques, such as single cell sequencing (mRNA and ATAC), biochemistry, histology and bioinformatics.
For this project we are looking for a highly motivated postdoc (holding a PhD in PhD degree in biology, biochemistry, molecular medicine, bioinformatics, physics, computer science, or a related field), with a strong interest in neurodegenerative diseases with a special emphasis of immunological aspects of Parkinson’s disease and Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis. The successful candidate should be confident in English and German proficiency and should have prior experience in at least 2 of the following fields:
- sequencing methods and interpretation of large-scale sequencing data
- bioinformatic analyses
- animal models for neurodegenerative diseases
- working with primary cells (e.g. PBMCs, neuronal cells)
- in-depth experience with cell culture models for neurodegeneration
The successful candidate will be assisting to coordinate and direct the project. Therefore excellent communication and team working skills are mandatory. The postdoc will also be able to acquire additional methods and skills (e.g. molecular biology) during the course of this postdoctoral fellowship.
- A well funded research project at the cutting edge of neurodegeneration research
- Excellent scientific infrastructure and state of the art techniques
- An international environment characterized by a strong focus on science and research
- Working in an international team within a stimulating research environment and very well equipped laboratories
- A high potential for the individual development of our employees (including targeted personnel development)
- A full time position, initially tempory limited to 2 years, with possible extension
- Employment, payment and social benefits are determined by the Public Sector Collective Agreement (Tarifvertrag für den öffentlichen Dienst – TVöD Bund)
Please submit your application using our online system, consisting of your CV (incl. peer reviewed publications and identifying two references) and a brief cover letter (max. 1 page) stating your motivation and prior experience relating to this project. If you have further questions, please contact Karin.email@example.com.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.Apply here
Prof. Dr. Karin Danzer
2 years, extension possible
Payment, social benefits
according to TVöD Bund
You will obtain special skills and knowledge for your scientific qualification at DZNE. The DZNE is an equal opportunity employer. It is committed to employing disabled individuals and especially encourages them to apply.