The German Center for Neurodegenerative Diseases (DZNE) is a world-leading internationally oriented research center, committed to discovering new approaches to prevent and treat neurodegenerative diseases. To this end, researchers at ten DZNE sites across Germany pursue a translational and interdisciplinary strategy comprising five interconnected areas: fundamental research, clinical research, health care research, population health science, and systems medicine. www.dzne.de
Postdoctoral Researcher (f/m/x) – Experimentalist in Large-scale electrophysiology
The Biohybrid Neuroelectronics Lab in Dresden seeks to recruit a Postdoctoral Researcher to implement a project based on a large-scale neuroelectronics platform to investigate hippo-cortical network dynamics in health and disease.
The successful applicant will exploit our large-scale electrophysiological tools to probe the spatiotemporal information of hippocampal circuitry empowered by adult neurogenesis. The outcome will profoundly impact science and society – it would offer a better tool for understanding information coding in neural regenerative circuitry and potentially providing novel restorative treatments for neurodegenerative diseases and brain injuries.
We aim at building a genuinely interdisciplinary research unit where engineers, experimental neuroscientists, and mathematicians team up to foster advances in neuroscience and neurotechnologies.
- Implement and develop independently ex-vivo electrophysiological experiments using high-density biosensors (i.e., CMOS-microelectrode array recordings) and optogenetics.
- Apply state-of-the-art methods for processing multidimensional datasets.
- Participate in all aspects of the project: planning, data generation, analyses, interpretation, as well as publishing results in high-impact journals.
- Obtain technical, lab management, and grant writing skills.
- Mentor and cross-train junior lab members (e.g., Ph.D. students).
The ideal candidate should be/have:
- Experience in experimental electrophysiology and neural signal processing of neuronal activity datasets obtained by any of (i.e., microelectrode arrays, extracellular field potential recordings, and patch-clamp).
- Experience in modeling, biostatistics, and complex data analysis methods proven by a GitHub repository or published articles.
- Experience in programming as well as scripting skills, preferably in Python.
- Enthusiastic, creative team player, fluent in English with a solid commitment to research.
- Ph.D. in Bioengineering, Neuroscience, Physics, Computer science, or a relevant scientific/technical discipline with a keen interest in large-scale electrophysiology.
- Prior technical expertise and research proficiency in hardware implementation and circuit modeling is a plus.
- Outstanding capability of literature synthesis, and troubleshooting of technical challenges.
- Advanced interdisciplinary vocational training and a high potential for career development.
- Opportunity to contribute to cutting-edge neurotechniques in a competitive and highly communicative environment.
- Excellent infrastructure, including modern workspaces and very well-equipped labs Multicultural environment.
- Employment, payment, and social benefits are consistent with the Public Sector Collective Agreement (TVöD Bund).
- The initial contract duration is 2 years with a possibility of extension.
Interested? Please, send your application in a single pdf file (in English), including:
- a detailed CV
- 1-page letter of motivation
- 1-page statement of scientific achievements and future research interests and plans
- 3 relevant publications
- Two or three reference letters
The application should be sent via the link below.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Only applications with previous electrophysiology experience will be considered for evaluation.
For more information about the position but not the application process, please contact Dr. Hayder AminApply here
Dr. Hayder Amin
2 years, extension possible
Payment, social benefits
according to TVöD Bund
March 15th, 2022
You will obtain special skills and knowledge for your scientific qualification during your activities at DZNE. The DZNE is an equal opportunity employer. It especially welcomes and encourages disabled individuals to apply.