The German Center for Neurodegenerative Diseases (DZNE) is a world-leading internationally oriented research center, committed to discovering new approaches to prevent and treat neurodegenerative diseases. To this end, researchers at ten DZNE sites across Germany pursue a translational and interdisciplinary strategy comprising five interconnected areas: fundamental research, clinical research, health care research, population health science, and systems medicine. www.dzne.de
Postdoctoral position (f/m/d) in host-microbial interactions and organoids
One position for a talented and highly motivated post-doctoral researcher is available within the scientific team “Mitochondria and Inflammation in Neurodegeneration” led by Michela Deleidi at the DZNE Tübingen.
We are interested in the immunological basis of neurodegenerative diseases, particularly focusing on Parkinson's disease. The position is funded within an ERC funded project. This will be a project aimed at clarifying the role of the microbiome in Parkinson’s disease and providing insight into a potential treatment window. This is an exciting opportunity to join a project that will establish normal and disease matched intestinal organoids, co-cultured with host microbial community, as a novel platform to understand host-microbe interactions. The successful applicant will work in a highly stimulating environment to pursue an exciting visionary cross-disciplinary project aimed at unraveling neuro-immune interactions in Parkinson's disease by means of patient primary cells and stem cell-derived organoids. The study at our site will involve wide range of techniques in the fields of microbiology and cell biology including induced pluripotent stem cell culture, organoid generation, and single-cell-RNA sequencing. Please see our website for more about our research
The ideal candidate should have:
- Ph.D. and/or M.D. or equivalent degree in a relevant discipline area, such as microbiology or cellular and molecular biology.
- Demonstrated knowledge of human intestinal biology and/or human gut microbiome
- Demonstrated experience in tissue and organoid culture
- Experience with culturing gut microbes
- Demonstrated skills in molecular biology, including PCR, western blot and ELISA
- Demonstrated skills in advanced microscopy techniques including immunofluorescence and IHC
- Outstanding record of achievements from prior training
- High level written and oral communication skills with the ability to represent the research team (presentation of research outcomes at national and international conferences).
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent scientific infrastructure and state-of-the-art methodologies
- An international environment characterized by a strong focus on science and research
- Research training via strategic research and development projects with a clear focus that will deliver real impact through science
- A high potential for individual career development of our employees (including targeted personnel development through our young scientist career development program)
- An innovative culture supporting the development and demonstration of original thinking and expertise leading to peer-recognition; and
- Opportunities to develop skills and experience in collaborative research teams to effectively work within national and international multi/transdisciplinary and multi-stakeholder environments.
Employment, payment and social benefits are determined by the Public Sector Collective Agreement (Tarifvertrag für den öffentlichen Dienst – TVöD Bund). The position is open immediately and review of applications will continue until a suitable candidate is found. A full-time appointment of initially 2 years with the possibility of an extension.
To apply, please submit your CV and a cover letter summarizing your research experience and interest along with the three reference via the link below.Apply here
Dr. Michela Deleidi
2 years, extension possible
Payment, social benefits
according to TVöD Bund
You will obtain special skills and knowledge for your scientific qualification at DZNE. The DZNE is an equal opportunity employer. It is committed to employing disabled individuals and especially encourages them to apply.